Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Cabbage and White bean soup

What to do with CSA veggies.  This is what has been perplexing me for the last 11 months.  I have radishes coming out of my ears. Last week's CSA delivered me cabbage.  No one likes cabbage.  All the noses in my house were turned up with the mention of cabbage.  I was determined to make something delicious with the head of cabbage.  And the search is on.  Creamed cabbage sounded appealing, but I wanted something that my daughter couldn't push to the side of her plate.  My sister mentioned cabbage and bean soup.  I started making the soup from Epicurious, but as the soup went along I started modifying.  Here is where I ended up.
Cabbage and Bean soup

Ingredients:
1 cup dried Navy beans
1 medium onion, peeled and left whole
10 ounces ham hocks sliced
6 slices of diced cooked bacon
3 qt water
6 fresh parsley sprigs
1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
1 fresh thyme sprig
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 lb  Yukon gold potatoes cut to 1"
1 lb cabbage, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (6 cups)

Directions:
1.  An hour before cooking - Quick soak the beans, by putting them in a pot with water.  Bring to a boil for 5 mins.  Turn off the burner and let it soak for an hour. Then drain in a colander to use.  
2.  Bring ham hocks and pre-soaked beans and 3 quarts water to a boil in a wide 6- to 7-quart heavy pot, skimming off any froth, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour.
3.  Add bacon, onion, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, and garlic and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until beans are almost tender, 40 to 50 minutes.
4.  Add potatoes and cabbage to beans, then simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
5.  Remove ham hocks. When ham hocks are cool enough to handle, discard skin and bones, then cut meat into bite-size pieces. Stir into soup with salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaf and onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment