Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Asian Pulled Pork Tacos

You won't find these tacos in your local dim sum restaurant.  These were a brainstorm of a few recipes.  My family loves "duck tacos" aka peking duck.  So I thought why not try that style with pulled pork.  I just happen to have a nice 2.5 lb roast in my freezer.  The pulled pork was plenty for the 3 of us plus leftovers.  What I loved about this recipe is the pork was juicy and not dry.  I may do all my pulled pork in the crockpot in the future.  The leftovers disappeared in a day so I'm pretty sure the family is okay with a repeat soon.
Pulled pork taco

Recipe Adapted from: KISS

1 (2-3 lb) pork butt,
1 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame seed oil
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons of minced ginger
7 whole garlic cloves
3 green scallions, roughly cut
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 thai chili pepper
salt and pepper to taste
Enough water to cover the pork
1 English cucumber (julienned to 3 inch spears)
3 scallions (sliced thin to 3 inches)
serve with Hoisin sauce


1.  Rub down the pork with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder and put into your crockpot.  Pour all the ingredients on top of the port and cover the roast with water just so the top of the roast is covered.
2.  Turn on your crockpot to high and leave it alone for 8-10 hours, or until the pork shreds easily with a fork. Discard huge pieces of fat.
3.  Serve the pulled pork with the sliced cucumbers, sliced scallions and hoisin sauce in a tortilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment