Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Quinoa Carrot Breakfast Bars

Mornings in my house are crazy.  In the midst of potty training, getting the clothes for potty training at school and feeding my child, I'm shocked I remember all I need to get out of the house - Oh wait.  That didn't happen yesterday.  I left the house with the nap mat, the potty training clothes, my work computer and my lunch....what did I forget?  My PURSE!  Good thing 1.  I had a yummy green smoothie for breakfast and I packed myself a snack cake for later in the morning.  I'm a big fan of pick it up and run.  This breakfast bar has potential.  I am publishing the recipe as I found it from another blog.  My recommendation???  Split the flour 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white flour.  The rest of the ingredients are super healthy for you.  A little splurge can't hurt - right?  Anyway....I have a week worth of breakfasts to grab and go!

from: Onceamonthmom.com

Ingredients:
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ginger
4 medium eggs
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup honey
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup grated carrot (1 large carrot)
1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup golden raisins

Directions:
1.  In a large mixing bowl whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger.
2.  In another large bowl mix together eggs, yogurt, honey, and vanilla.
3.  Add dry ingredients and quinoa to wet ingredients and stir gently until just combined.
4.  Add carrot, raisins, coconut, and nuts and fold into the mixture.
5.  Pour into greased 8 x 8 baking pans.
5.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry.
6.  Cool bars completely, cut and divide into freezer bags.


No comments:

Post a Comment