Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pan seared steak - a must for the carnivores out there

9 Month old reaching for the steak
This may be the best steak ever.  I know that my husband is still raving about it as he smacks his lips thinking about it.  I found this recipe on my sister's blog.  My sister said it was delicious and she isn't much of a red meat person.  So I figured I have to try it.  I typically grill my steak and am known for grilling in the below freezing weather.  However, I have been making alot of excuses this winter to not grill.  Regardless, this steak is definitely tops on my list.  I had a choice between making porterhouses or filets (I know tough life).  I chose to make the porterhouse and boy was it yumyum for my tumtum.   Other than the change of cut, I totally followed her recipe


Here it is:

Pan-Seared Steaks
Yummy and juicy steak
adapted from Cook's Illustrated May 2007 with help from Helen Rennie at Beyond Salmon
 
Steak (at least 1-1/2 inches thick cut)
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil


1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 275 degrees. Pat steaks dry with paper towel. Consider tying steaks with twice make whole piece an even 1-1/2 inches thick. Season entire surface of steaks liberally with salt and pepper. Place steaks on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet; transfer baking sheet to oven. Cook until instant-read thermometer inserted in center of steak registers 90 to 95 degrees for rare to medium-rare, 20 to 25 minutes, or 100 to 105 degrees for medium, 25 to 30 minutes.


2. Heat oil in 12-inch heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat until smoking. Place steaks in skillet and
Seared to perfection
sear steaks until well-browned and crusty, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, lifting once halfway through to redistribute fat underneath each steak. (Reduce heat if fond begins to burn.) Using tongs, turn steaks and cook until well browned on second side, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer all steaks to wire cooling rack and reduce heat under pan to medium. Use tongs to stand 2 steaks at a time on their sides. Holding steaks together, return to skillet and sear on all sides until browned, about 1 1/2 minutes. Repeat with any remaining steaks.


3. Transfer steaks to wire cooling rack and let rest, loosely tented with foil, for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment