Monday, July 2, 2012

The Best Mussels on Earth

No seriously that was the name of the recipe. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back. I had my doubts since the name is pretty darn cocky- but damn these were delicious!! Typically we don't eat mussels unless we are in a restaurant, however I had a hankering for seafood this weekend.

Bad timing though. Practically all the surrounding grocery stores had no power due to the huge storms in The MD-DC-VA area. I felt fortunate enough that we had power, but I did complain when I walked into Shoppers and the meat display and seafood display were barren. The produce choice was kale or um artichokes. Yea so- seafood was not on th emery last night.

Luckily after church I stopped by the Giant on route 1 and found they never last power and BLAM I got the last bag of mussels in the store. WHHHHOOOOOO HOOOOO!!! Yes I did a little dance in the seafood section of our local GIant store. Anyway-after i worked hard at our local pool craft day & my husband cleared our yard of huge tree limbs, I rewarded ourselves with the "Best Mussels on Earth".  Don't skip any of the ingredients especially the lemon. It definitely adds a kick at the end. This recipe is a definite keeper.

Adapted from: Food Network's Aaron McCargo Jr.'s recipe



The Best Mussels on Earth
Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 pound chorizo, remove casings
1 onion, diced
1/2 bulb fennel, cored and sliced
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 pinch saffron
1 beer
2 pounds mussels, cleaned and beard removed
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons chopped chives
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
1 lemon, juiced
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
French bread toasted, for serving

Directions:
1. In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add the oil. Add the red pepper flakes and chorizo. Make sure to break up the chorizo, but into to tiny pieces or you won't find the tasty goodness later. Cook the sausage for 1 to 2 minutes to release the flavors.
2. Stir in the onions and fennel and cook fir 4-5?mins until they wilt a bit.
3. Add the garlic and saffron and allow the saffron to bloom.
4. Stir in the beer and mix well. Add the mussels and stir.
5. Cover the pot and steam until the mussels open, about to 5 minutes. Remove the lid, then add the tomatoes, herbs, lemon juice and salt and pepper, and stir well. Ladle the mussels and broth into large serving bowl and serve with French bread

The Aftermath....




No comments:

Post a Comment