Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Baked Shrimp Scampi

Though does not live on meat alone!  I love steak, chicken, pork, ham.  However, once in a while I need to have a bit of seafood.  I can't cook it that often because the family is not big on seafood.  I would post about my wonderful salmon, but my sister already beat me to posting it. Who would have guessed that 2 sisters living in 2 different states would find the same favorite salmon recipe.  She hasn't told me where she found it....I think I gave it to her! 

Anyway, my daughter loves shrimp.  I made this shrimp scampi and the original recipe called for so much butter.  Given my latest doctor report on lowering my cholesterol intake I thought it best not to follow the recipe to the T.  I thought about skipping the topping, but the topping makes the shrimp so flavorful and delicious.  I did not miss the extra butter.  I served the shrimp with a bit of steamed asparagus and angel hair to keep the meal kind of light.

Adapted from: Big Oven

Ingredients

3 tablespoons good olive oil
2 tablespoons Dry white wine
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
5 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
4 teaspoons garlic, minced
1/4 cup Shallots minced
3 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves minced
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon lemon zest grated
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 extra-large egg yolk
2/3 cup panko (Japanese dried bread flakes)
Lemon wedges

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Peel, devein, and butterfly the shrimp, leaving the tails on. Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl and toss gently with the olive oil, wine, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Allow to sit at room temperature while you make the butter and garlic mixture.

In a small bowl, mash the softened butter with the garlic, shallots, parsley, rosemary, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolk, panko, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper until combined.

Starting from the outer edge of a dish, arrange the shrimp in a single layer cut side down with the tails curling up and towards the center of the dish. Pour the remaining marinade over the shrimp. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the shrimp. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until hot and bubbly. If you like the top browned, place under a broiler for 1 minute. Serve with lemon wedges.

1 comment:

  1. I found the salmon recipe the same way you did. Epicurious! I give you credit when I steal your recipes!

    ReplyDelete