Sunday, January 23, 2011

Minestrone Soup


It is still very cold here and at the end of a long day I want something warm in my belly.  For Christmas I got the best present ever.  A Dutch oven.  I have used the new dutch oven like more times than I can count on my fingers.  I love it!  I barely even put it away before I am making another creation with it.  I'm really glad I didn't get a heavy one and that my mom talked me into one that is a bit lighter.

Veggie Wednesday dinner tradition has continued.  This week I made this hearty minestrone and ended up having enough for left overs the next night. Even my 11 year-old thought the minestrone was delicious. My husband did think it would taste with a bit of ham.  We served it with little biscuits on the side.  It is hearty enough that you won't go looking for a snack a couple hours later since you missed the beef, chicken or pork in the meal. Enjoy!



2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 small russet potato, medium dice
2 medium celery stalks, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
1 medium bay leaf
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
1 can french cut green beans or 1/2 lb green beans trimmed

1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
1/2 cup frozen peas
4 cups (1 quart) low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup ditalini, tubettini, or other small pasta
1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley (from about 1/2 bunch)
Grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese, for garnish



  • Heat butter and oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Once butter foams, add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add potato, celery, carrot, and bay leaf and stir to coat. Cook until celery is just soft, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juices, season with salt and pepper, stir (scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan), and cook until juices are almost completely reduced, about 2 minutes.
  • Add half of the green beans, half of the zucchini, half of the peas, and the broth and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until zucchini just begins to soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in reserved beans and bean-cooking liquid; remaining green beans, zucchini, and peas; pasta; and half of the parsley and simmer until the pasta is al dente, about 10 to 15 minutes.
  • Remove from heat, stir in remaining parsley, taste, and adjust seasoning as needed. To serve, place soup in bowls, sprinkle grated cheese over top, and season with freshly ground black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment