Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chicken and rice soup with baby bella mushrooms

I was so good this week with bringing lunch and making dinner.  Then today we went to the school to watch the rescheduled band concert....we ended up with take out pizza- bleh.  Oh well. I need to redeem myself with a good recipe to share.  

So during Christmas week, my husband and I were sick.  I think we've been eating every type of soup around. My sister made some great turkey soup from the turkey breast I made after thanksgiving.  I was looking for a soup that was different than the norm.  This soup is chowder like with fantastic flavor. I took a picture of the soup but it looks like white mush in a bowl.  I need to improve my food picture taking skills.

Adapted from Recipes Straight from the Kowboys Home
Chicken and Rice Soup with Baby Bella Mushrooms
2 cups shredded chicken 

6 cups home made broth
1 onion, chopped
1 cup rice
8 oz. sliced baby bella mushrooms
2 Tbsp. butter
1 cup flour
3 cups milk
1/4 cup cooking sherry (I used chinese cooking wine)
1 1/2 tsp Adobo seasoning


Combine flour and 1 cup milk, stirring until no lumps appear, set aside. Saute onion and mushrooms in butter until onions are translucent. Add chicken, broth and rice. Cover and cook for the directed time on rice (15-20 min) . Once rice is done, add flour mixture and the additional 2 cups of milk along with sherry, stirring until well blended. Season to taste with Adobo. Cook on medium until it bubbles and thickens then turn off and serve. 


Note: You should serve this immediately otherwise it will be too thick.  If you are making this ahead of time, make sure you have some extra broth to thin this out when you reheat it.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this blog post from the nytimes about photographing soup. Hopefully I'll get around to positing about soup soon ...

    ReplyDelete