Monday, January 16, 2012

Creamy Chicken Pasta Soup

Yummy goodness
It was a soup kind of day.  Long weekend in January with the wind blowing everywhere today making it feel much colder than it really was.  The truth be told...I made this soup on Saturday AM for the Rising Hope crowd.  My fearless Rising Hope captain pulled this recipe out of his book and I was salivating by the end of making the meal.  I had no choice, but to go home and make my own!  I made some changes based on what I knew my family liked and I read the reviews on epicurious.  Even my one year old ate the noodles (that isn't the surprise), the chicken, the vegetables and drained the bowl to the last drop of soup. Mo soup Mo soup she screamed.

adapted from: Bon Appétit

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup diced carrots (about 2 medium)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
6 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
1 TBSP herbes de provence
1 tsp sage
1/2 rotisserie chicken shredded
1 cup ditalini pasta
1 cup of peas
1.5cups half and half
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
 
Directions:
1.  Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots and onion. Cook until celery and onion are tender, about 5 minutes.
2.  Add flour and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Gradually mix in chicken stock. Bring soup to simmer, stirring frequently.
3.  Add half and half and herbs and simmer 5 minutes. Add shredded and simmer until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
4.  Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain pasta.
5.  Bring chicken soup to simmer. Mix in cooked pasta and peas and simmer 5 minutes.
6.  Mix in lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment